As suggested by my friend Sablei (check out their blog!), the Pokémon of the week this week is none other than Mew!
Mew is a legendary psychic type, and is a standalone Pokémon (this is standard with nearly all legendary Pokémon, aside from Manaphy and Phione). It shares a relation with Mewtwo, but not through any ‘evolution’ method; rather DNA taken from Mew (
no one ever explains how the Team Rocket scientists get the DNA, though; Per Sabelei: ‘You said it is unknown where Team Rocket got Mew’s DNA but it was stated in the first movie that they found Mew’s eyelash when in Africa’) was used to create a clone of Mew so that Team Rocket could harness the power from Mew to take over the regions of Kanto and Johto. Instead Team Rocket got one really angry Mewtwo, and Mewtwo was rightfully angry.
- They are both pink. Although this does not prove much, it is possible that when Mew was being cloned in the creation of Mewtwo that the same color of Mew was necessary to make the Mewtwo-in-creation. Their shiny forms also both happen to be blue.
- They both know transform, and can technically both learn any move. It is possible that Mewtwo was supposed to know transform to make a successful clone. However, the real Mewtwo does not know Transform.
- They both weigh the same: 8.8 lbs. To make a successful clone, perhaps it was necessary for the two to weigh the same.
- Ditto’s appearance of a scientific blob – Ditto appears to have been man-made. However, there are more than one Ditto, speculating that it may reproduce asexually.
- Mewtwo’s Bio – Mewtwo was said to be the only successful copy of Mew, speculating that Ditto may be a failed clone.
- Ditto in the Pokémon Mansion. In Pokémon Yellow, the wild Pokémon roster for the burned out Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island (where Mewtwo was implied to have been created) was updated to feature Ditto, speculating that Ditto may have been created in the Mansion as well. This change was carried over to Fire Red and Leaf Green, the remakes of the original Pokémon Red and Blue.
- Mew is said to contain the DNA of every single Pokemon, while Ditto can essentially breed with every single Pokémon (with very few exceptions outside of legendary Pokémon).
- Both Mew and Ditto have base stats that are the same in every category. Mew has 100 base in each stat, while Ditto has 48 base. The failed cloning process may have resulted in such diminished stats.
Quite intriguing and it seems plausible, but remember the above does not whatsoever mean that Ditto are failed Mew clones. It’s just a fan theory, though a solid one.
Mew is unique in the sense that it can learn any TM, or HM, and any move from a move tutors (minus moves specific to a type like Draco Meteor), and is the only Pokémon other than Ditto that can learn Transform (as mentioned above). Mew is supposedly the ancestor to all Pokémon, which is why it can learn nearly every move in the Pokémon world. With it being Psychic type, it is super effective against fighting and poison types, but is weak to bug, dark, and ghost types. The rationale behind those three weakness are that they are common things the mind is afraid of, or to put it simply they’re common phobias – which is a mental (which is psychic type represents, mostly) feature.
Here’s a brief summary of Mew’s biological makeup:
Mew is a pink, bipedal Pokémon with mammalian features. Its snout is short and wide and it has triangular ears and large, blue eyes. It has three-fingered paws, large feet with oval markings on the soles, and a long, thin tail ending in an ovoid tip. Its hair is so fine and thin, it can only be seen under a microscope. It has a long, skinny tail ending with a rounded tip. Mew has big hind legs and short arms with three-fingered paws. Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body, and as such is able to learn any attack.
I am unsure if Mew will get a mega evolution like it’s clone, but I would not be surprised if it did since most popular Pokémon are getting mega evolutions – some look good, some look bad. There have been zero rumors around Mew getting a mega evolution, however.
As always I will include some art from deviantArt and as always, all the credit goes to the artist and you should donate to them if you can! This week’s artist is aocom (CHECK OUT THEIR AWESOME ART!) and it’s a very cute picture.
And that wraps ‘er up right there! Next week Eevee will be featured!
If you have any suggestions for the week after that please let me know in the comments! Also, let your Pokémon friends know about these weekly posts and have them follow!
- Pokemon: Genesect and the Legend Awakened Review (alecrlee92.wordpress.com)
- Movie Review: Pokémon – The First Movie (projectedrealities.wordpress.com)
- Team Flare II (themetaknightmare.wordpress.com)
- The Best Of Chwomp: October Edition (chwomp.wordpress.com)
- Pokémon Anime Review-M01: Mewtwo Strikes Back (sablei.wordpress.com)
- pokemon yayyyyyyyy. (dragonmastersblogofdragons.wordpress.com)
- The Evolution of Pokemon Part 1 (dustinwheat.wordpress.com)
- Pokémon Of The Week: Meowth! (chwomp.wordpress.com)